Translate

Tuesday 2 June 2015

[Travel] A hidden shopping gem in Bangkok- Union Mall

Dear Readers,

I'm back with more travel reviews. This time introducing to you a hidden shopping gem in Bangkok which few people know of. At the same time, I must express my dismay at the cancellation of my June 2015 Bangkok Trip because of the unavailability of the hotels I am interested in AND the non-promotional air tickets ):

My initial plan was to book the air tickets on Tuesday morning (for the Scoot Promotional Fares), and then book the hotels for the nights in Bangkok. However, Scoot has no good promotional price the past 2-3 weeks and Metro Resort Pratunam has apparently raised their prices from 1000THB to 1400THB. The other lower-priced range hotels have really bad feedbacks (eg. Have to enter the hotel by cutting through some restaurants, Hotel lobby in a really secluded area, and Dirty sheets and linen) So no thanks, I might just head to JB during the long leave.

Ok, so back to topic. The shopping paradise which isn't that well known as Platinum yet: Union Mall. I was contemplating whether to share this or not. Because being a typical Singaporean, I'm super kiasu and worry that once there is an influx of foreign travellers, the prices of goods there might increase. But I decided to help those who are looking for quality and cheap clothings, and those who are really exhausted after a hot and sunny morning/afternoon at Chaktuchak.

Coconut Ice cream dessert: A must eat in Bangkok

I usually will head to Chaktuchak in the morning and shopped till about 2pm, then head down to Union Mall via train.

The really cute dog I saw at Chaktuchak.

Head to the Chaktuchak train station and take one/ two stop down to Phrahon Yothin (I might have spelt the name wrongly) 


Take towards the Hua Lanphrong direction


The train had good air conditioning and it was quite comfy after a really hot and sunny morning at Chaktuchak.

You can purchase your token (for a one time trip) via these ticket vending machine located in the station or from the passenger service counter.

At the entrance of the train station of Union Mall.
Look out for the Sign that says Union Mall upon arrival at the train station. You should exit from Exit No. 5. Upon exit, you will be facing the "Union Mall" sign as seen in the picture below.



Hungry? Thirsty? Grab some waffles and fries and drinks at A&W!
Looks good right? It was super appetizing and shiok! (Since Singapore doesn't have A&W stalls anymore)
This was reasonably priced at about 5-6SGD for the entire set. It fed both my mother and I (as tea time snack) 

There were many things to shop (A pity I didnt take any pictures of the stalls with the really good promotion and sales ongoing) But you can refer to my picture below for my loots I was carrying back then.
Tired of shopping? Head to the Kbox! You have your own private room (although the walls and doors are made of glass which means no privacy) I think it was cheap, but being the shopaholic I am, I wanted to make full use of my time shopping at Union mall (before I headed to Chinatown later that evening)

The prices at Union Mall were comparable to the ones at Platinum. In fact, I think the clothes sold at Union Mall were made of higher quality. I got a really nice netted skater skirt for only SGD10, and back in SG, I actually found a similar piece retailing on a blogshop as a Latest Series for SGD29.90.

Thank god I bought the skirt. Usually they forbid you to try on their items on sale, but if you kindly request, I believe they wouldn't refuse (since these shops are normal sales motivated)

The clothes there ranged from about SGD5-40. There were definitely some high-end shops, which were definitely overpriced. But most of the shops there sold dresses at about SGD5-15.

If you are looking for shoes, there's this shop on the 3rd/ 4th level which had a sale when I was there. All shoes were going for 150THB! That is super cheap and worth it.

Till date, I'm still wearing the shoes I bought there. There were shoes of various designs (wedges, high heels, sandals) and they weren't those old-fashioned design ones, they were fashionable and stylenanda-inspired or some inspired branded sandals.

I manage to get a Hermes-inspired studded sandals in a really unique pale pink colour and my mother managed to get 2 wedges (one Hermes inspired and the other a black strappy wedge heel)

The material is really good and it is quite comfy. Definitely worth the price and also the luggage space and weight (HAHA)
After shopping at Union Mall, we explored the area outside the mall (there was a link bridge to the opposite side of the road which held a large mall selling some electronics and also some fashion boutiques- although not as fashionable as Union mall)

This was taken on the link bridge! (Look at the massive traffic jam!!) 

Those other malls I mentioned above were not worth the time and effort to walk around. All in all, Union mall is a great place to head to when you're tired of all the walking around Chaktuchak, or if you're in need of an air-conditioned place to shop in. You'll need about 4 hours to shop here (based on an estimation as I shopped for about 3hours but skipped certain sections). They do have male clothings but very few stalls (same scenario as in Platinum Fashion Mall). This was all about Union Mall, any other significant stalls or experiences at Union mall I did not mention? Feel free to comment!(:

Cheers,
Rachel


1 comment:

  1. Wow thanks for the recommendation, sure will visit it and write a post on it on my trip!

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete